Wednesday, March 4, 2009

The State of the Blog

Greetings my fair readers!

It is hard to believe that I started blogging a year ago today. When doing some web searching, I stumbled across the women scientist blogosphere and thought I would add my voice. I got started because I felt like I was at a new crossroads of my career, returning to graduate school in a different area. I thought I would wind up sharing about my academic journey and talk a lot about things that were happening to me. To some extent, that has happened. When things with school hit me square between the eyes, I tend to blog about them. I've told you about my heroes, my move to Bridge City, and the antics of my cat and a few others. When I have tips for surviving academic life, I offer them. I love love love the Scientiae carnival and contribute frequently. With the carnival I see some of my biggest spikes in traffic as people read my posts.

It did not take me too long until I started to take up political questions. A favorite post of mine is the 1943 Guide to Hiring Women with commentary. I do what I can to share my experiences with diversity, thoughts on energy and the economy, and general observations of political conversations. A favorite tag of mine has become "cultural insanity" which apparently debued because I was talking about parents who give full on spa treatments to 8-year-olds. I also frequently rant about standardized tests and college admissions. Sometimes I even go after upper level academic concerns. (Yes, even the fun of trying to publish papers!)

Lately, the blog has also seen a fair bit on the nature of science. I think I got started by posting about articles I had read in various news outlets.

Blogging is also fun because it connects me with so many interesting people in many ways. Looking through my posts to create this one, I found meme after meme. Although, I think one of the highlights of the blogging community year was FSP's Statement of Purpose contest. Another highlight involved meeting some bloggers in person over the summer.

So my fair readers, that's been my take on the blog this year. For the comments: why have you started reading me this year?

5 comments:

Amanda@Lady Scientist said...

I started reading you because you commented on my blog :-) I've kept reading you because your posts always make me think about my ideals, convictions, and values. I really enjoy that! I hope that you keep blogging for a while!

EcoGeoFemme said...

Happy blogoversary!

Mad Hatter said...

Hey, happy anniversary!

Unbalanced Reaction said...

Happy blog day! Isn't it amazing how time flies?

Minnesota Musings said...

I started reading because I am an aspiring scientist who is interested in the experiences of other females in science. Happy Anniversary! I'm new to blogging (really new!!) and I just began a new blog a few days ago... If you like, visit me at minnesotamusingtalk.blogspot.com

Keep blogging!!